The major towns and cities of Antalya, Alanya, Side, Belek, Kemer and Adana lie in the Mediterranean region of Turkey. The Taurus Mountains, which dominate the area, along with the historical sites of Perge, Kekova Island and Myra, said to be the birthplace of St Nicholas, or Santa Claus, are just waiting to be explored by your little ones.
The region, which stretches from the Patara and Fethiye areas right along the southernmost coast to Hatay where it nudges the South East Anatolia region, has numerous activities for children to enjoy, from aquaparks, swimming with dolphins and festivals to sports such as canoeing and sailing.
- Visit Side‘s romantic Temple of Apollo at sunset
- Descend the 452 steps into the massive Chasm of Heaven, where the monster Typhon was said to have held Zeus captive
- Swim or take ferry ride out to Maiden’s Castle at Kizkalesi
- Visit Adana’s extravagantly beautiful Sabanci Merkez Cami, the country’s second largest mosque
- Enjoy the first syrupy bite of an oven-hot piece of kunefe with a cay (tea) and a chat with locals in Antakya
- Sea-kayak over the stunning sunken city of Ucagiz
- Marvel at the mythical flames of the Chimaera on a moonless, peopleless night
- Bargain for a boat and take a trip around the islands off Fethiye or Kas
- Explore the Lycian ruins at Xanthos, Kaunos and Myra
- Take flight with a paraglider and soar over the sea at Oludeniz and sample a section of the Lycian Way hike
What is the best time for travelling to Mediterranean Region?
Swimming : April to October
Touring : All year round, July-August is not recommended as it may be too hot.